Meet the people Romney doesn’t care about.
These are people in debt.
These are people in danger of losing their homes.
Some of them are on assistance.
Some of them need help with medical bills.
Some of them need help paying for groceries.
All of them are in situations they would rather not be in.
Most of them never thought they’d be in a place where they would need help to pay for basic things, or when they would have to struggle to pay basic bills.
This one’s husband left her with two kids. He wiped out their bank account. She doesn’t know where he is.
This one had a catastrophic illness that ate up all her savings and forced her to resign from her job.
This one has a master’s degree. Had a great job. Then her company was swallowed whole by another company and she was laid off.
This one lost a child in a car accident. She was unable to cope and has been suffering from depression ever since. She lost her job.
This one was renting a house with no idea the owner was not paying the mortgage. The bank foreclosed. He, along with his wife and two kids, were evicted without enough time to find a new place. They are staying in a shelter for now.
This one is a former drug addict trying to get her life back together by going to school and working but she needs some help with housing to get by for a bit.
This is young man kicked out of his house by alcoholic, abusive parents. He’s living off food stamps while trying to find a better job that will allow him to stay in his current apartment.
This is a woman with a special needs child who needs around the clock care. She doesn’t have health insurance. But she can’t work because her child needs her. She’s drowning in debt and uses whatever money she has to take care of her child, sometimes at the expense of paying bills.
Are there people here gaming the system? Yes. Are there people not taking responsibility for their actions? Of course. Are there people who ended up in their predicaments with no one to fault but themselves. Yes. There are.
But there are more people here who have not created their own circumstances. There are people represented among these files who do not ask for help as if they are entitled to it. They do not demand of their government food, shelter and health care. They do not stand around with their hands out while doing nothing else to change their situation.
They are part of the 47%. And they’d really rather not have to depend on anyone but themselves to get by in life. But sometimes that is not possible. Sometimes, shit happens. Life happens. And if we don’t help them get by, if we dismiss them, condescend to them, treat them as less than those who have, then we lose. America loses.
They are Americans. They are ours. They are your neighbors, whether you know it or not. Hunger does not always look how you think it does. Poverty does not always show. Need is not always evident.
It is not just the President’s job to care about these people. It is our job. It is America’s job.
I don’t know about you, but I do not want a man who dismisses an entire group of people out of hand in any leadership role in my country.
These folders. They are all people.
You have no right to judge them. Because you don’t know. You do not know their stories.
And you don’t know when it might be your turn.
Think about that. Think about having a man in office who thinks all these people are beneath him, who holds everyone represented here in contempt.
Is that what you want for your country?
I really hope not.
- lillisaurusrex reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- whatiremembered reblogged this from whatiremembered
- issy-r-brien reblogged this from theladyinblack13
- voxunumanima likes this
- grimmalkiin reblogged this from queensimia
- bottled-pessimism likes this
- kmalleena reblogged this from talysia
- pisceswitch reblogged this from talysia
- talysia reblogged this from crowdog66
- beckyh2112 reblogged this from crowdog66
- soilrockslove likes this
- eatdeadbatteries reblogged this from crowdog66
- allweareisashes reblogged this from crowdog66
- inbinniebon likes this
- inbinniebon reblogged this from crowdog66
- crowdog66 reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- lizzyhaldane reblogged this from dandelionchild
- dandelionchild reblogged this from blooming-white-tea
- harrrymonster likes this
- blooming-white-tea reblogged this from kadalkavithaigal
- blooming-white-tea likes this
- kittenliberation reblogged this from kadalkavithaigal
- chokeonthefuckery likes this
- hellmonks likes this
- kadalkavithaigal reblogged this from bohemianarthouse
- msbluejay likes this
- magatsus likes this
- hairyprincess reblogged this from oracleofink
- oracleofink reblogged this from yamino
- showerjunkie likes this
- rcnano13 reblogged this from queensimia
- the-pleiades likes this
- norkia likes this
- pacificpikachu reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- risquemarionette reblogged this from yamino
- hafwen reblogged this from infamousnfamous
- xchelsemilyy likes this
- infamousnfamous reblogged this from bmoburns
- manjulamartin likes this
- imathers likes this
- arbryna likes this
- yarnandteaisallineed likes this
- coo-beastie likes this
- itsasecrettoever likes this
- tripedoctrine reblogged this from yamino
- urlgonnadie reblogged this from emilyraynebow
- dandelionwine likes this